Old Colorado City was founded in 1859 and was the first capital of the Territory of Colorado and the center of early settlement in the Pikes Peak region.
By 1873 Colorado Springs de-throned Colorado City as the county seat of El Paso County. Nonetheless, Colorado City did its share of growing during the 1890s. General William Jackson Palmer’s Denver & Rio Grande Railroad went through here and Colorado City became a center of industry and gold ore processing.
Coined the "Wild West" town during the 1890s, Colorado City boasted more than 20 saloons, gaming parlors and brothels. When gold was discovered on the western slope of Pikes Peak during that time, gold miners would flock to Colorado City to buy supplies and spend their money in the saloons and brothels, but if they struck it rich, they generally built homes in Colorado Springs.
Until 1913, Colorado City remained independent, fueled by gold, entertainment and industry. However, prohibition hit this town of saloons hard. In 1917, with no economic recovery in sight, the residents voted to become part of Colorado Springs.
Though no longer a town of its own, Old Colorado City has survived as a center of retail, restaurants and commerce. Today, Old Colorado City is a historic district, tourist attraction and center of entertainment for families and history buffs.More History